About the History PhD Program
PhD Departmental Requirements
There is no stipulated number of credit hours required for the PhD. In consultation with the Supervisory Committee, PhD students will create an individualized program of study designed to prepare them to pass the qualifying examinations an dproceed with dissertation research.
- HIST 7800: History Methods
- PhD in U.S. History must complete HIST 7500 & 7510
- Two reserach seminars, at least one of which must be in their major field.
- One seminar or colloquiium in eac hminor field.
Minimum of 14 hours of HIST 7970: Thesis Reserach.
- Maintain a minimum GPA fo 3.0
- Officially register documentation of a supervisory committee from the time of official registration of the supervisory committee through completion of the program.
- Pass qualifying exams by the end of their 5th year in the doctoral program. In the event that a candidate fails the final exaination, it may be repeated, but only one; failure to pass an examination a second time shall automatically result in termination of the Student's PhD program.